Dr. Elizabeth Carroll, Director
- PhD in English from UNC-Greensboro (major: Composition and Rhetoric; minors: Critical and Literary Theory, 20th century Women's Literature), MA in English from the University of Vermont (concentration: American Indian Literature), BA in English from ASU (minor: Women's Studies).
- Interests: Writing center theory and practice, the teaching of writing, rhetoric, and ethnography.
Amy Hansen, Assistant Director
- MFA in creative writing from Northern Michigan University (concentration in poetry). BA in English from North Central College.
- Interests: Writing centers, poetry, basic writers, Midwestern studies, intersectional feminism, crime retellings and confession narratives, cults, cats, kayaking, Zumba and embroidery.
- Favorite quote: "...just remember that your real job is that if you are free, you need to free somebody else. If you have some power, then your job is to empower somebody else." - Toni Morrison
Tasha Mehne, Program Assistant
- BS in Psychology from the University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
- Interests: Music, live concerts, dog rescue, travel, museums, making mixes, country drives, reading (especially classics I never made the time for), performing (vocals), hanging with my partner, Kim, and our cat, Zelda.
- Favorite quotes: "Open afresh your round of starry folds, Ye ardent marigolds." - John Keats and "Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life." - Art Blakey
Brendan Hawkins, Night Coordinator
- MA in English from Appalachian State University (concentration: Appalachian and environmental literature), Grad. Certificate in Rhetoric and Composition from Appalachian State University (concentration: multimodal writing, basic writing, and Writing Program Administration), BA in English from Milligan College.
- Interests: basic writing, ePortfolios, writing across the curriculum, writing program administration, Star Wars, more Star Wars, and coffee.
- Favorite quote: “I feel I'm very sane about how crazy I am.” - Carrie Fisher
BA in English from Appalachian State University. MA in Literature from Appalachian State University.
Full time lecturer in Rhetoric and Composition for the last 10 years.
UWC Consultant for 7 years.
Interests: Teaching and mentoring composition students, writing humorous non-fiction, reading historical non-fiction, Abraham Lincoln, trout fishing, origami srtwork, snimal rescue, vegetable gardening, floral arrangements, kitty cats.
Favorite Quote: Metaphors be with you
MAT in Humanities from the University of Louisville
Taught high school English for 14 years
Full-time lecturer in Rhetoric and Composition at ASU for the past 20 years
Writing Across the Curriculum consultant
Interests: writing plays, acting, directing and producing, as co-founder of Black Sheep Theatre; other interests include words, books, baseball, film, and travel.
Favorite quote: "Let be be finale of seem/ the only emperor is the emperor of ice cream" - Wallace Stevens
- BA in English from Lenoir Rhyne University, MA in English from ASU
- Interests: Reading, writing, food, travel, fitness, sports, gaming, hanging with my husband, and my kids (the loves of my life)
- Favorite Quote: "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." - Napoleon Hill
- M.A. in Higher Education, Teaching English from Appalachian State University along with a Graduate Certificate in Rhetoric and Composition. B.S. in English, Secondary Education from Appalachian State University.
- Interests: Reading, knitting, writing music, and traveling with my husband.
- Favorite Quotes: "Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
BA in Anthropology, archaeology concentration from ASU; MA in Higher Education, concentration in teaching writing from ASU.
Interests: reading, writing, food, wine, travel, gardening, hiking with my dogs, hanging with my daughter, left wing idealism, good music of all genres, and yoga.
Favorite quote: You cannot swim for new horizons until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore" - William Faulkner
BA, Middlebury College; freelance editor and book designer for academic and educational publishers
Interests: knitting, international travel, hiking, politics, learning disabilities and the autism spectrum, Adobe Creative Suite, the Chicago Manual of Style, and being a pilkunnussija.
Favorite quote: “What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.” - Samuel Johnson
- BA in English Education from UNC-Greensboro. Currently studying toward an M.A. in English at ASU.
- Interests: Reading, writing, music, movies and video games.
- Favorite quote: "My mother used to say to me... 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant'. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant" -Harvey (1950)
- BA in English (creative writing) from Appalachian State University. Currently enrolled in Appalachian State's Graduate English program.
- Interests: fantasy novels/movies, rock music, playing guitar, playing video games, British crime TV series, hilariously bad movies (one-to-two star movies on Netflix), Chinese food, Asian culture, steampunk, dogs, cats, basically any other animal
- Favorite quote: “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” –Groucho Marx
- B.S. in Multi-Disciplinary History, ASU, currently enrolled in ASU's Historic Preservation program
- Interests: Science-Fiction literature, strategy and RPG video games, ecology, architecture, history
- Favorite quote: "Time moves in one direction, memory another. We are that strange species that constructs artifacts intended to counter the natural flow of forgetting.” - William Gibson
- BA in English, Film, & Photography: Louisiana State University. Certified Health & Wellness Coach: Emory University. MA (in progress) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling & Body Centered Therapy: Appalachian State University.
- Interests: PEOPLE, dance, music of almost every genre (especially Motown), swimming, Nutella, playing outside, the brain, animals of all varieties, road trips, meditating, and helping others help themselves!
- Favorite quote: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... We are all meant to shine, as children do... It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone...And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." -Marianne Williamson
- BS in English, Secondary Education from ASU (minor: Theater). MA (in progress) in English (concentration: college teaching).
- Interests: Theater, Film, Victorian and 19th century American literature and psychoanalytic theory.
- Favorite quote: “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd”- Flannery O’Connor
- BA in English from East Carolina University, MALS and Global Studies Certificate from UNC-Greensboro
- Interests: genealogy, old houses, classis Hollywood films, teaching, reading, and museums. The horse pasture and big porch at my house are my two favorite places, but I'd like to travel more. I l ove laughing with my daughter, Katie, an undergrad here at App.
- Favorite quote: "The dream is the truth." --Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God
- BA in English (concentration in creative writing)from Appalachian State University. MA (in progress) in English from Appalachian State University.
- Interests: fantasy novels/movies, rock music, playing guitar, playing video games, British crime TV series, hilariously bad movies (one-to-two star movies on Netflix), Chinese food, Asian culture, steampunk, dogs, cats, basically any other animal.
- Favorite quote: “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” – Groucho Marx
- BS in English, Secondary Education from ASU. MA (in progress) in English (concentration in teaching community college with a rhetoric and composition certificiate).
- Interests: Romantic and Victorian Literature, Jane Austen, medieval legends, dance, reading.
- Favorite Quote: “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, / Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” – Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
- Junior Public Relations & Journalism major, Commercial Photography minor
- Interests: Listening to all kinds of music, going to concerts, hiking, skiing, taking pictures, traveling, reading, writing, and drinking coffee.
- Favorite quote: "Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right." -The Grateful Dead
- Junior English major, Sociology minor
- Interests: Learning, reading, binge watching Netflix, playing video games, yoga, crafting, vegetarian cuisine, hiking, and engaging in conversations about Game of Thrones conspiracy theories
- Favorite quote: "I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
- Senior English major with Math and Spanish minors
- Interests: Reading, writing, hiking, swimming, fantasy, feminism, travelling, the beach, going to concerts, vegetarian cooking, doing crossword puzzles, and basking in the sun
- Favorite quote: “I do things like get in a taxi and say, ‘The library, and step on it.’” - David Foster Wallace
- Sophomore double major in English (concentration in literary studies) and Theatre
- Interests: Looking at the clouds, appreciating the way the light hits the trees, taking pictures of beautiful moments and the people I love, wearing hats, drinking water, eating grapefruit, weird and absurd art, believing in aliens, Shakespeare.
- Favorite quote: "With all the holes in you already there's no reason to treat the outside environment as alien." - Jenny Holzer, Survival
- Junior Biology and Journalism double major
- Interests: Journaling outside, hiking, singing (loudly for all to hear), spending time with others, meditation, surgery and medicine, cooking, helping others enjoy their life!
- Junior Computer Information Systems (CIS) major with a minor in Internet Studies
- Hobbies: lifting weights, hiking, learning coding and inquiry languages, cooking, fulfilling executive board responsibilities of Association of IT Professionals (AITP), going to concerts, analyzing any (and all) writing center data, and hanging out with coworkers and “the boys” (AITP friends).
- Favorite quote: "She seemed to know a lot and understand very little."- Toni Morrison
- Junior English Major with a concentration in Professional Writing and a minor in Communication
- Interests: Reading, writing, my plant Reggie, African violets, cats, hiking, logical fallacies, traveling, HGTV, knitting, and hanging Christmas lights.
- Favorite quote: "We rise again in the grass. In the flowers. In songs." - Anthony Doerr
- Junior English major (concentration in creative writing) with a minor in Women's Studies
- Interests: Reading, creative writing, terribly great movies, discussing literature, being in coffee shops but not actually drinking coffee, dogs, Pride and Prejudice, music, learning new languages, and food
- Favorite Quote: “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?” – Ernest Hemingway
- 4+1 student working towards an MA in Reading Education
- Interests: dance, yoga, animals, going green, psychology, fashion, interior design, reading (especially Game of Thrones), creative writing, and good food
- Favorite Quote: "We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty." - Maya Angelou
- Junior English Major (concentration in Creative Writing) Studio Art Minor.
- Interests: Reading, (especially horror/suspense thrillers) poetry, hiking, stargazing, swing dancing, scary movies, music shows, and deep conversations.
- Favorite quote: “Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through." - Anais Nin
- Junior Women's Studies major with a double minor in English and Medieval Studies
- Interests: Creative writing, music, Netflix, movies, my cat, reading, singing, baking, crocheting, cross stitching, French horn, board and card games, and learning about pretty much anything
- Favorite quote: "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
- Sophomore English major with a concentration in Professional Writing and minor in Spanish
- Interests: sewing and drafting patterns, coloring (adult coloring books are my jam), historical fiction, poetry, baking more desserts than I can responsibly consume
- Favorite Quote: "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks." -Douglas Adams
- Junior English major with a concentration in Creative Writing and a minor in Media Studies
- Interests: Creative writing, reading just about anything, watching movies and tv shows, video games, musicals, sketching, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Sinatra, hanging out with friends, animals, road trips, travelling, and making real connections.
- Favorite Quote: "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous that absolutely boring." - Marilyn Monroe
- Junior Instrumental Music Education (K-12) major
- Interests: Cooking, hiking, spending time with family and friends, listening to jazz and classical music
- Favorite Quote: "To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein
- Freshman Exercise Science Major with a Pre-professional concentration.
- Interests:Football, Basketball, DC Comics, Star Wars, Netflix, movies, cooking, memes, and anything with my friends.
- Favorite Quote: “Limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” - Michael Jordan